Friday, May 18, 2012

a BIG thanks!

          Some of you may know I have never been a huge fan of doctors.  Growing up my mom rarely took me to the doctor.  If I complained about something long enough or if it was out of her control she would give in.  And for the few times that I have gone to the doctor (1) they couldn’t figure out what was wrong or (2) just gave me an antibiotic to be safe.  Also, last semester my Econ professor, Professor Witte, had the class listen to an NPR broadcast that discussed the chaos in the medical/insurance field (I’ll provide a link at the end, cause everyone should listen to it, even if it is a little long).  All in all, it turned me away form doctors.
            Like I had mentioned in my first blog, Rutledge had to force me to go to the doctor, not because I was scared, but because I thought it’d be useless.  Unfortunately it wasn’t useless for two reasons.  First, obviously, I found out I had diabetes and second I’ve changed my mind about doctors a little. 
            When you are diagnosed with diabetes in the hospital, an educator will come see you to teach you how to use your insulin, how to check your blood sugar, ect. I had seen so many nurses and doctors by that point that I wasn’t too excited to meet her.  My educators name is Carla, and she has made this whole experience so much easier.  Our meeting in the hospital was only 30 minutes, but it didn’t end there.  The night I got home from the hospital my blood sugar was back up in the high 300’s.  Her number was the first one I saw in the pile of papers I was given, so I called in panic.  She told me exactly what to do and to text her at midnight with my blood glucose number.  I hesitated; did she really want her patient to wake her up again at midnight?  She really meant it, so I did. I was constantly texting Carla my numbers and how I was feeling the following week. In fact, I texted her more than I texted Rutledge.  It was amazing how she was always right there when I needed her advice. 
            Now that I have gotten more stable, I don’t talk to her as often, but I do know that she is always there when I need her.  It’s an amazing feeling!  I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t have the support and care from her!  Thank you so much for your dedication and endless care Dr. Carla it is greatly appreciated! 

Here is the NPR link about healthcare:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/391/more-is-less

No comments:

Post a Comment